You need: Post-its™ (or scrap paper), a pen or pencil
- Choose an advert and watch it several times.
- Pick out some key sentences.
- On each Post-it, write one key sentence from the advertisement.
- With your partner, decide if the sentence is a fact, opinion or a mixture of both.
- If it is a mixture, highlight to show which is fact and which is opinion.
- Sort the Post-its into 3 piles to show which is fact, opinion or a mixture of both.
- Put the piles in order of persuasiveness – most persuasive at the top.
- Count the piles to decide whether fact and opinion use is balanced in the advertisement, or whether there is much more of one than another.
- Repeat the activity with a different advert. Is the balance of fact and opinion the same or different?
Advert A: Dettol Advertisement
Advert B: Waitrose Advertisement
Advert C: Lloyds Pharmacy
Advert D: Moonpig Advertisement