- Geography4Kids: Concise info on food chains with links to related topics and other sites.
- National Geographic: Movie and quiz on food chains.
- Zwolle Elementary School: Good web site designed for kids with easy layout and loads of info on food chains and related topics.
- Kids Planet: Web site for kids that gives an overview of a food web from the point of view of a spider.
- Eco Kids: Good web site for kids with heavy focus on environmental issues. Also small section on food chains.
- Wikipedia: Detailed description of what a food chain is with diagrams.
- Places To Go: Thames_Barrier
- Greenwich Council: Thames Barrier
- The Heritage Trail.co.uk: Thames Barrier
- Port Cities.org.uk: London’s Thames Barrier
- Photos of the Thames Barrier 1
- Photos of the Thames Barrier 2
- How the Thames Barrier Gates Work
- Thames Barrier Video Clips
- Google maps: To find maps of the rivers in our local area
- Oddizzi.com: General information about rivers & more detailed information about some named rivers if you subscribe
- Nature Grid: Pond and river plants Excellent pictures and child-friendly descriptions of common pond and river plants in UK
- BBC.co.uk: Freshwater plants Useful for identifying river plants
- Exploring pond habitats: Useful for exploring what life can survive in different parts of the river/pond
- Postcode Plant Database: A really useful postcode flora search for the whole of the UK. Type in your postcode and all of the plants (including water plants) to be found in your area pop up with pictures, including common and scientific names and descriptions!
- Life Of The Frog: The frog’s lifecycle
- Natterjack Toad lifecycle
- Cornwall Rivers: Food Webs & Chains
- RSPB: Grey Heron
- Nature Grid: The Heron
- OtterNet.com: For pictures and info about otters
- BBC.co.uk: European Water Vole For info and pictures about water voles
- BBC.co.uk: Estuaries, Spurn Point Good information about UK estuaries
- Wikipedia: List of UK Rivers
- Wikipedia: Geography of the United Kingdom: Good for images of UK and lists of main rivers
- WWF.org Useful information on international river conservation schemes
Mr Pitts | | Geography, Life Cycles, Rivers & Water | BBC, Cornwall, Estuaries, Exploring pond habitats, Geography, Google maps, Heron, Life Of The Frog, Natterjack toad, Nature Grid, Oddizzi, Otter, Postcode Plant Database, Raging Rivers, Rivers, RSPB, Spurn Point, Water Vole, Wikipedia, Wild Rivers | 0 Comments
Here is the site you need to research local water plants. Type in our school’s postcode, BD19 4NA, then scroll down to Water Plants in the results.
Here you will find all the information you need to name the plants on the sheet.
Link (Natural History Museum): www.nhm.ac.uk/fff/searchPC.html
Mr Pitts | | Geography, Life Cycles, Rivers & Water, Science | classification, database, Geography, Life Cycles, Plants, postcode, Postcode Plant Database, rivers and water, Science, Searching, water plants | 0 Comments
I can classify animals.
These web sites will help you get an idea for the wildlife that lives around our local water.
- Waterscape: Wildlife
- BBC Nature: Rivers & Streams
- UK Safari: Freshwater Wildlfe Search
- Young People’s Trust for the Environment: Animal Facts
Use these sites to find out facts about the River Nile:
- Woodlands Junior School: River Nile
- Ancient Egypt Online: River Nile Facts
- Teacher Web: River Nile
- Science for Kids: Earth Facts, River Nile
- River Nile Fact File